Checkout our new application Amazon deal finder. This application will enable our users to catch deals with up to 90% discount.
If you decide to develop a Firewall for Linux, you will
find a lot of information and source code, all free. However
the people interested in Firewall for Windows Platforms
have a little more difficult not only for find information,
find free source code is a task impossible!!.Of course you can find some great sample implementation on codeproject.com developed by Jesús O.
NetDefender is a Free Firewall with source code, which
can be downloaded along with firewall executables. Netdefender works only on windows
2000 and above versions of windows.
Netdefender has a very easy to use interface. NetDefender Firewall
is completely written in VC++ 7.1 (Visual Studio 2003) using MFC , Windows API, Filter
Hook Driver (Provided with Windows 2000).You can download
this Firewall with complete source code from the hyperlink
provided at the bottom of the page. This product is opensource but for paid applications keeping your software licenses in one place is crucial in case a computer is damaged and need the same software downloaded on another computer.
Tools Used :
1) VC++ using MFC (Code can be compiled with either Visual Studio 2003 or 2005)
2) Windows API
3) Filter Hook Driver (Provided with Windows 2000)
Note: To run the Netdefender you must have mfc71u.dll, msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll
- User can Block all Traffic and can Allow all traffic
through just one mouse click
- It is a packet filtering Firewall.
- User can add custom rules to this firewall as
per their security requirements.
- User can define rule based on source and destination
IP, source and destination Port number and on Protocol
- User can modify already added rules. (NEW in v 1.5)
- User can Remove the already added Rules. (NEW in v 1.5)
- A Port scanner is also provided to scan the system for
- Provides the list of applications that are currently trying to connect to outside network.
- Proper help file is provided in case of any difficulty.(Yet to add)
- Netdefender can only run on an OS higher than windows 2000 (i.e.
Win 2000, Win Xp I hope Vista would not break anything)
- User must has admin rights (i.e. must be member of administrator group ) on the system.
- Default Firewall of windows Xp must not be running . In
windows Xp with service pack 2 Default firewall is always
running. So you need to stop it before running the Netdefender.
About Us :
This firewall (Netdefender) is made by Sudhir Mangla and Rajender Singh
(from India, Faridabad ) as Final year project in our B.E. Course
at Lingaya's Institute of Management & Technology.
For any of your comments, suggestions and queries Please
mail me (Sudhir Mangla) at Admin@ProgrammerWorld.NET
We have use the driver as describe in an article in codeproject.com.
Code Project/Internet ∓mp; Network - Developing Firewall
for Windows 2000/XP by Jesús O.
at the URL : http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/drvfltip.asp
. You should read this article.
And can download the code of Driver from there.
Terms and Conditions :
If any one wants to use these projects for his College
projects and for commercial use first mail me at Admin@ProgrammerWorld.NET
You are free to use it and are welcome to do further work
to improve It and add new features to it. It would be appreciated if you share your source code with me if you have added new features to it, But not required.
Project Report :
If you want to check the project report that
I have submitted along with this project in my college then mail me
Note: Project report is based on the initial version of the project i.e. Netdefender 1.0 but most of the material present in the report is still valid.
Version : (1.2)
New Features in Netdefender 1.2
Now only single instance of the application can run
at a Time.
- Now it use 24 -bit Toolbar Icons.
- A new feature has been added that enables the user to check
the various application running on his system and using which protocol , port no and Ip Address , even the associated
This utility is very useful for system admin while making decision about
creating new firewall rules.
Utility can be accessed under tool menu | Block application.
Currently feature of blocking the application is not implemented.
- Port scanner is completely rewritten . New it is multithreaded
and 40 to 50 times faster than the first version.
- New all the list control used in application is replaced
by Custom list control.
so the display is now more color full.
- Now all the data in list control can be sorted on any
column. so user can quickly access any data.
Version : (1.2.1)
- New menu class is added, menus are now more colorful
- Many small bugs related to UI are fixed. Such as "allow
all" button become disabled sometime.
You can download version 1.2.1 from the HERE .
Version : (1.5 Beta 1 ) :
I have just updated the Firewall today (25 th June 2006) with lots of UI changes. Actually netdefender was missing the some of the very basic features like rules once added can not be deleted or modified. Now these features are incorporated in Netdefender. Changes are as below.
- UI is now much more professional and colorful.
- Custom Buttons are used with some cool effects.
- Toolbar is updated, description is added for each command.
- New cool tool tips are added in Netdefender.
- All rules are now added to rule file.
- Added rules are now easy to understand as it can shows rule user friendly language like any Port or My Machine.
- Tool tips on the added rules list show the description the a novice user can understand.
- Tool tips shows the Most common description (taken from wikipedia ) of the particular port number. For example if the Netdefender rules used the port number 21 its tool tips show the port desc as "FTP control (command) port" as 21 port is reserved for FTP protocol.
- User can now modify the already added rules.
- Already added rules can be removed for the firewall.
- Many bugs are solved in 1.5. Most of them are related to UI.
- Firewall is now more appealing to Corporate customer because of easy UI navigaion.
Note: Netdefender 1.5 is still in Beta I am planning to provide a more user friendly interface and adding lots of cool features in the final version. I will release the final version when I get free time.